A devastated son has spoken of his attempts to save his 93-year-old father from a house fire in county Armagh back in 2015.
Malcolm Troughton and his wife Lillian were rescued from their home after a fire broke out at their home in Richmond Heights in Richhill shortly before 10pm on Sunday, October 18, 2015.
Mr Troughton died of smoke inhalation and burns at Craigavon Area Hospital two days later.
His wife Lillian, 86, survived.
In a statement read out Craigavon Coroner’s Court, Mr Troughton son Philip spoke of his efforts to save his father from the blaze.
He said: “I was at home with my family. At approximately 9.55pm I received a telephone call from my daughter, she said the smoke alarm had activated at my elderly parents’ home at Richmond Heights.
“I immediately got into my car and travelled to my parents’ home. On my arrival I went to the front door and let myself in using my own set of keys. There was a thick blanket of smoke coming from within.
“I switched the torch on on my phone and shone it into the hall but the smoke was so thick that the torch was having little effect.
“I tried to switch the hall lights on but they appeared to have tripped. I then made my way towards both my parents bedroom, which were opposite each other.
“I could hear my mother moaning.
“I opened the door of my father’s room but I was only able to open it approximately 30 centimetres.
“I could see flames coming from the bed but with the smoke I could not see my father.
“I made my way to the kitchen and filled a dish with water which I then threw on to the bed through the gap in the door.”
The Fire Service arrived a few moments later.
Both pensioners received treatment outside before being rushed to hospital.
The Coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death and that Mr Troughton died as a result of smoke inhalation and burns.
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member