Keep up with Armagh i

Man hospitalised following house fire in Loughgall

A man was rushed to hospital following a house fire in Loughgall in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Emergency services were tasked to the scene in Annahugh Park shortly before 1am.

Neighbours raised the alarm and managed to get the man, who was inside the house on his own at the time, out before the blaze caught hold – completely gutting the inside of the house.

One resident told Armagh I how neighbours, who happened to be returning from a night out, noticed the flames and alerted the person inside.

Fire and ambulance crews were quick on the scene.

A number of direct neighbours, including an elderly lady, were evacuated from their homes for a period of four to five hours as fire crews dealt with the incident.

A spokesperson for the NI Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews from Armagh, Portadown and Lurgan fire stations attended the incident shortly after 1.20am.

“The incident occurred in a mid-terraced bungalow and firefighters entered the property using specialist equipment and extinguished the fire using two hose reels.

“One occupant was transferred to the care of the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service. The cause of the fire was accidental. The incident was dealt with by 3.30am.”

A NIAS spokesperson commented: “We received a 999 call at 1.46am on Sunday, June 23 following reports of an incident in Annahugh Park area. NIAS despatched one emergency crew to the incident.

“Following initial assessment and treatment at the scene, one patient was taken to Craigavon Area Hospital by ambulance.”

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Loughgall