Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council’s biggest ever ‘Culture Night’ has just been launched and takes place on Friday 18th September in various locations around Armagh City & District.
A jam-packed and vibrant programme of over 100 events featuring art, readings, workshops, demonstrations, tours, music, dance, drama, exhibitions and family fun takes place in The Market Place Theatre, Armagh, throughout Armagh City Centre, and across the district including a wide programme of events in Poyntzpass.
It may be entitled ‘Culture Night’ but events kick off on Fri 18th Sept from as early as 10.00am with music classes for babies ‘Doh Ray Me’ in The Market Place Theatre, Armagh. At 1.00pm there is a bi-lingual tour of Iron-Age Armagh led by Cairde Teo and departing from Armagh City Hotel.
Evening events kick off at 5.45pm in The Market Place Theatre, Armagh with a Hip Hop Dance School on the Theatre Veranda.
Over 100 events then run between 6.00pm and 11.00pm in 30 venues across the City & District. A full programme is now available and some of the highlights include:
- Tours Of The Historic Mall, Armagh Gaol, St Patrick’s COI Cathedral, Palace Demesne, Armagh County Museum
- Schools Culture Night Performances In Market Place Theatre
- Artist exhibitions by Armagh Art Club, Anne Callanane, Maria Cardenas, Andrew Haire, Armagh Pipers Club, Ulster Scots Community, Armagh County Museum
- Dance performances from JD Dance, Bulgarian Folk Dance, Tennessee Twisters, Hip Hop Dance School, Lithuanian Folk Dance, Jiving Crew, Hungarian Folk Dance, Tasagh Scottish Dancers, Taylor Scallon Irish Dance, Armagh Set Dancers, Karma Indian Dance
- Music from Banbridge Buskfest Winners, Appleby SEC Makaton Choir, DJ Sets, Armagh Pipers Club, solo performers in cafes around the city, Jazz Jams, South Ulster Sinfonia, U3A Choir, Armagh Rhymers, The Oriel Singers, Men’s Shed Choir, SRC Music Department, The New Rhythm Band, Cup O Joe, The Hanna Sisters, Finnvola Trad Rock
- Workshops in Wood Turning & Music Making
- Demonstrations of Graffiti Art, Martial Arts, Yoga
- Readings & Drama In Public Library & Visitor Information Centre & City Library
- Poyntzpass – Over 20 events in various locations in Poyntzpass including music, dance, choirs, food tasting and exhibitions
Speaking at the launch, Lord Mayor of Armagh Banbridge and Craigavon Councillor Darryn Causby said: “Armagh will highlight the unique mix of culture that exists within our Community.
“The Council fully recognises that Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon districts are areas very rich in cultural terms and have a strong and hugely talented mix of local people from right across the whole spectrum of culture. Culture means many things to many people and the programme presented here today is certain to appeal to the widest possible audience.”
The full programme is now available in outlets across Armagh and from The Market Place Theatre Box Office or can be downloaded at www.marketplacearmagh.com. More details on the performers and performances can be found online and at www.facebook.com/marketplacearmagh
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member