Keep up with Armagh i

PSNI defeat Armagh City for second time in a fortnight

Armagh City 1 PSNI 2
The PSNI defeated Armagh City for the second time in two weeks with a 2-1 Belfast Telegraph Championship One victory at Holm Park on Saturday.
Earlier the visitors recorded the same scoreline when dumping the Eagles out of the League Cup at Newforge.
The police side also inflicted City’s first home reverse for 23 games as the teams swopped positions at the bottom of the league.
Everything started well for Armagh who took the lead after five minutes when Ultan Lennon rose high in the box to head home an inch perfect corner.
And, moments later, he almost scored a carbon copy goal but, on this occasion, the ball flashed narrowly wide.
But, after this initial burst from City, it was the PSNI who settled into the better rhythm and it was no surprise when they drew leavel on 27 minutes.
City failed to clear a dangerous ball into the penalty area and, while others dithered, Joe McWilliams pounced to slam home from close range.
Moments later Armagh ‘keeper Sean Morgan was at full-stretch to smother a stinging shot after yet another lightening raid from the visitors.
On the half hour mark the PSNI took a deserved lead when Ashton McDermott rose unopposed in the box to head home a corner from the right.
At this stage the police outfit were well in control and thoroughly deserved their half-time lead.
After the break, however, it was a different story and Armagh began to string a number of dangerous attacks together.
Shea McGerrigan caused all sorts of problems with his darting runs down the left and he was unlucky to see a 20-yard angled shot strike an upright and bounce to safety.

He also sent in a series of dangerous crosses into the box during the half but Scott McCrory and Barry Moore were excellent at the heart of the PSNI defence and dealt very capably with everything which came their way.

As City pressed for the equaliser they left themselves exposed at the back and John Dobbin, McDermott and McWilliams all had chances to make the home side pay even further.

Despite this, Armagh continued to press and they were unlucky not to level on 90 minutes when sub Conor McNamee headed over from just two yard out.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Football