Keep up with Armagh i

Late goals help Glenavon grab victory at Warrenpoint

By Manus Loughran

A close range finish from Rhys Marshall and a Tiarnan Mulvenna penalty sent the Lurgan Blues home with all three points last night.

Glenavon dominated possession in what was a fairly lacklustre first half, the visitors lacked the killer final ball and were caught offside five times in the opening 45 minutes.

The first opportunity of the game arrived on the 28th minute when Guy Bates whipped a superb cross in from the right which was met by the head of Kyle Neill, but the goal bound effort was acrobatically saved by Jonathan Parr.

Warrenpoint’s only real chance of the game came late in the first half, Ciaran Gargan tried his luck with a 25 yard free kick but the effort had too much bend on it and drifted past the right hand post.

Parr came to Warrenpoint’s rescue again on the 65th minute when he got a strong hand on to Andy McGrory’s low shot from the right.

Just when it was starting to look like Warrenpoint were going to grind out a goalless draw, Rhys Marshall latched on to a pass from Kyle Neill and finished from ten yards.

Warrenpoint completely lost their shape after the opening goal and conceded penalty just minutes later when Dermot McVeigh brought down Guy Bates in the box, the spot kick was dispatched by substitute Tiarnan Mulvenna who had been introduced to the game just minutes beforehand.

This was Glenavon’s first three points of the new campaign after an opening day draw against Crusaders.  The Lurgan side will be hoping for another victory when they face Dungannon on Saturday.

WARRENPOINT: Jonathan Parr, Darren King, Stephen McDonnell, Dermot McVeigh, Ciaran Gargan, Daniel Hughes, Liam Bagnall, Mark Hughes, Stephen Moan, John Boyle, Ruairi Devlin. Subs: Jonathan  Cowan, Stephen  Hughes (replaced Ciaran Gargan, 58 mins), Padraigh Smith, Samuel Osobe, Martin Havern (on for  Mark Hughes, 74 mins)

GLENAVON: James McGrath, Kyle Neill, Kris Lindsay, Andy Kilmartin, Guy Bates, Eoin Bradley, Conor Dillon, Rhys Marshall, Kevin Braniff, Shane McCabe, James Singleton. Subs: Gary Hamilton, Andy McGrory (on for James Singleton, 30 mins), Ciaran Martyn (on for Andy Kilmartin, 58 mins), Adam Foley, Tiarnan Mulvenna (on for Kevin Braniff, 81mins)

Referee: Evan Boyce

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Football