Keep up with Armagh i

City stroll to easy win at new-look Holm Park

Armagh City 5 Lurgan Celtic 1


ARMAGH City had a stroll on the new-look Holm Park on Saturday when they brushed aside the challenge of Lurgan Celtic in the the Bob Radcliffe Cup.
They ran out 5-1 winners and, as a result, will meet Dungannon Swifths Reserves in the fourth round of the tournament on September 28.
City were quickly into their stride and went ahead after five minutes when Stephen Murray made inroads down the right and set up Shea McGerrigan who blasted the ball home from 15 yards out.
After this setback Lurgan pressed for an equaliser but they were well held by a keen Armagh back-four.
Instead, it was City who scored a deserved second goal on 15 minutes when Eamon Kelly drilled the ball past hapless Celtic ‘keeper Ciaran Fox.
Armagh were now dominating and they created several more chances down the left, with both Shea and Ryan McGerrigan prominent.
The midfield of Liam Cullen, Kelly, Matthew Hynds and Kevin Keegan controlled the match with quiet efficiency and, before the break, they combined to make their passage into the next round safe.
A superb attack saw Shea McGerrigan set up Cullen who picked his spot before thumping home a cracking curling shot past the bemused Fox.
Half-time: Armagh City 3 Lurgan Celtic 0.
After the break City were again quick to settle and it was not long before the added their fourth score.
A deep cross from the left by Shea McGerrigan was headed goalwards by the onrushing Hynds at the back-post. Fox did well to save but Murray was quickest to react and blasted home the loose ball with aplomb.
Kelly then went close for the home team when he brought a fine save out of Fox and then followed-up with another tremendous effort which just flew over the Celtic crossbar following a corner on the right.
City sealed the tie moments later when Keegan popped up on the left and chipped the ball over Fox who could only manage to divert the ball into his own net.
Lurgan never gave in, however, and they were rewarded with a late consolation score from sub Declan Heaney after a mix-up in the City defence.
Armagh put this reverse quickly behind them and set up several quick raids which had the visitors at full stretch.
Gareth Grimley and Murray had good opportunities to add to the tally before the final whistle, with both missing scores by a whisker.
This was a solid all-round display by City who, in truth, never had to get out of third gear during the match.
Armagh City: Sean Morgan, Dale Montgomery (Luke Grimley on 65), Ryan McGerrigan, Ultan Lennon, Dara Noonan, Eamon Kelly, Kevin Keegan (Gareth Grimley on 65), Liam Cullen, Stephen Murray, Matthew Hynds (y/c), Shea McGerrigan (y/c), (Ryan McGeown on 80). Subs DNP: Barry McColgan, Alan Humphries.
Lurgan Celtic:Ciaran Fox (y/c), John Rodgers, Shane McCabe, Stephen Boyd, John Cochrane (y/c), Ronan O’Hara (y/c), Michael Toland, Lee Haire (Declan Heaney on 60), Raymond Fitzpatrick, Stephen McArdle, Brendan Mackin.
Ref: Mr Gerry Murray (Dungannon).

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Football