Today is International Older Persons Day, a celebration of the achievements and contributions that older people make to our society and the economy.
Wouldn’t it be a nice idea if we gave something back to the older members of our communities. If we all picked just one thing off the list below and pledged to do it today to brighten an older persons day.
Remember, it isn’t about money or even planning, it’s about finding a moment to make a small difference in another person’s life.
1. Look an older person in the eye, smile and greet them with a sincere “hello how are you”
2. Pay a visit to an older person who lives alone, your time and attention may help him or her feel valued and important.
3. Surprise an elderly neighbour with a home-cooked or baked item, you most likely will be met with a smile.
4. Offer to do grocery shopping for an older friend or neighbour. The things you take for granted such as walking, lifting and carrying can be of great assistance.
5. Send older relatives a card just to let them know you are thinking about them.
6. Wash an older person’s car, just because.
7. Volunteer to take an older person to church. Not only will you be helping them overcome an obstacle—perhaps they no longer drive—you’ll help them stay connected to friends.
8. There is so much joy in watching wildlife. Set up a bird feeder outside an older person’s window at his or her home. Stop by often to refill with seeds.
9. An older person will be glad of a little help around the house—vacuuming, sweeping and mopping floors. Or, help to make up a bed with fresh linens or fold laundry.
10. In the supermarket car park, help an older person carry their bags to the car.
11. Drop off nearly new magazines, books, puzzles and games to your local Care/Residential Home.
12. Take the time to hold open a door for an older person. Offer them a seat on a bus or in a waiting room. Let them go ahead of you in line.
Sign Up To Our Newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter for major breaking news stories as they happen – right to your inbox.