A Portadown man who caused an accident whilst more than two times the legal drink-drive limit has been disqualified from driving for 18 months.
Court heard the injured party had to receive five stitches above his right eye after the incident.
Sandro De Jesus Loureiro, 27, of Carleton Street, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that on November 4, at around 2.30am, police were called to a two-vehicle collision on the Northway, Portadown, with one of those involved alleged to have been under the influence.
The injured party said he had been in the outside lane when the defendant driving behind him clipped his rear bumper causing him to lose control and hit a barrier.
He also told police that he believed that Loureiro was under the influence.
Officers spoke to the defendant and subjected him to a preliminary breath test which he failed.
He made no reply when cautioned and in custody gave an evidential reading of 75mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath.
Defence solicitor Conor Downey said Loureiro had been at a friend’s house, where he had “taken more drink than he should have” before deciding to drive.
He said his client was in full-time employment and had lived in Northern Ireland for the last nine years.
Mr Downey said that the loss of Loureiro’s licence would have a “significant impact” on his family.
Deputy District Judge Philip Mateer said the injured party had to receive five stitches above his right eye after the incident.
It was revealed Loureiro had been in court in 2013 and 2017 for “more serious matters”.
Judge Mateer commented: “You were more than twice the legal limit and were driving so badly that you caused an accident.”
The defendant was handed an 18-month driving ban and ordered to pay a fine of £400, along with the offender’s levy of £15, within 12 weeks.
He was certified for the drink driving course which would see his disqualification reduced.