An inquest into the murder of 10 innocent Protestant textile workers at Kingsmills 40 years ago is finally due to go ahead.
It will get underway on Monday week, May 23.
Newry and Armagh Ulster Unionist MLA Danny Kennedy – who has long campaigned for the inquest on behalf of the victims’ families and sole survivor Alan Black – has welcomed the move.
The men were ordered off a minibus at the side of a road at Kingsmills on January 5, 1976.
The colleagues were lined up and shot and only one man survived, Alan Black.
In what became known as the Kingsmills Massacre, it was one of the darkest days in Northern Ireland’s history.
Mr Kennedy said: “I welcome that after 40 long years a date has finally been set for the inquest into the Kingsmills massacre.
“As someone who lives in Bessbrook and who has campaigned alongside the victims’ families for many years, I know how frustrating this process has been.
“I pay tribute to the families of the victims, the sole survivor Alan Black and all those who have campaigned for justice in this case.
“I hope that the inquest makes available the maximum amount of information on what was one of the most horrendous acts of sectarian terrorism carried out by the Provisional IRA during its campaign of violence.”
It was last December in the Assembly that Justice Minister David Ford had said a full inquest into the Kingsmills Massacre should take place during the “first half” of next year.
It had been due to get underway last April but no coroner could be found.