A County Armagh school has been praised for their prompt and proper reaction to a chemical spill on its premises earlier today (Wednesday).
The NI Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) were called to Lismore Comprehensive School in Craigavon shortly after 11am, following reports of a chemical spill.
As a result a number of people were taken to hospital to be checked over as a precaution.
A spokesperson for the school said normal class resumed after NIFRS concluded their work at 12.30pm.
“This morning we contacted the Fire Service, as a precautionary measure, as a chemical leak had been identified from a bottle in a secured chemical store,” said the spokesperson.
“All procedures were followed, with pupils temporarily evacuated to a safe area and the identified area was sealed off.
“At 12.30pm the Fire Service declared the area safe and all pupils have returned to class. The Fire Service acknowledged the school’s prompt and efficient manner in dealing with this incident.”
A spokesperson for NIFRS praised the school for following all the necessary guidelines and calling the appropriate teams.
They confirmed that three appliances – two from Lurgan and one from Portadown – attended the scene.
A number of people, who may have been within close proximity of the substance, were passed over to the NI Ambulance Service to be checked over, something the fire service confirmed would ordinarily be precautionary.