Keep up with Armagh i

Man accused of attempted murder following arson attack on Armagh pub has case sent to Crown Court

An Armagh man accused of two counts of attempted murder following a petrol bomb attack at a city pub has been returned for trial at the Crown Court.

John Patrick Nixon (39), currently in custody at HMP Maghaberry, appeared via videolink before Armagh Magistrates’ Court, sitting in Newry on Tuesday, for the purposes of a preliminary enquiry – the process by which serious matters are sent to the higher court.

Nixon faces a total of eight charges: two counts of attempted murder, arson endangering life with intent, throwing a petrol bomb, possessing a petrol bomb in suspicious circumstances, possessing an article with a blade or point in a public place, and two counts of criminal damage.

A prosecution lawyer told District Judge Peter Magill there was a prima facie case to answer on all matters. Defence made no contrary submissions.

Judge Magill agreed the legal test had been met and returned Nixon for trial, sending the case to Newry Crown Court for arraignment on October 12.

The charges relate to a series of incidents in Armagh on Monday, August 18 last year, including an alleged petrol bomb attack at the Toby Jug bar on Irish Street in which two people were reported to have suffered significant burn injuries.

Police have previously told the court that a man entered the premises, shouted “trick or treat” and threw a lit petrol bomb directly towards two people inside, at a time when children were also present in the bar.

CCTV footage, it was said, showed a bald male carrying a plastic bag, preparing what appeared to be a petrol bomb at the junction of Irish Street and Ogle Street before entering the premises, with orange flames then seen lighting up the doorway. The suspect was also alleged to have brandished a large knife as people fled.

Earlier incidents that evening allegedly involved bricks being thrown through windows and damage to a vehicle in the Keady Road area.

Nixon was later arrested at an address in Chapel Lane, where police said they recovered a further prepared petrol bomb and a bag containing a knife.

He will remain in custody pending his appearance at Newry Crown Court.

Local jobs

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Armagh