Keep up with Armagh i

Woman (73) dies in ‘accidental’ house fire in Lurgan

A pensioner has died in a house fire in Lurgan, Co Armagh, today, it has been confirmed.

The 73-year-old woman had been in a two-storey mid-terrace property at Lurgan Tarry and the NI Fire and Rescue Service was called to the scene shortly before noon.

Two appliances from Lurgan Fire Station and one from Portadown attended.

A NIFRS spokesperson said: “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly entered the property and found a lady in her 70s in the living room.

“Sadly the lady was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Firefighters dealt with a small fire in the living room. Early indications would suggest the fire was accidental.

“The smoke alarms in the property had activated and alerted care workers arriving at the property and they raised the alarm.

“The incident was dealt with at 2.16pm.”

Lurgan Sinn Féin Cllr Noel McGeown has expressed sympathy with the family.

“I think it’s fair to say the incident has shocked the entire community,” he said.

“The thoughts and sympathies of us all are with Mrs Campbell’s family, friends and neighbours, at this difficult time.”

Read more news:

Be wary of heating oil scams, police warn

Opening hours cut at Armagh, Keady, Bessbrook and Irish Studies Library

Public meeting to assess investment needs for Darkley

Councillor tells of community shock at vehicles arson in Laurelvale

£1.1M Northway works completed four weeks ahead of schedule

Become a member

Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.

Become a member

Most read today

More in News