Keep up with Armagh i

Rail line security operation over

Translink Train

The security alert in the Lake Street area of Lurgan has ended and residents allowed to return to their homes.

The rail line has also reopened and police have thanked the public for their patience.

The PSNI has confirmed that two suspicious objects were removed by Army Technical Officers and these have now been declared elaborate hoaxes.

Police confirmed that the operation had begun after a telephone warning last night (Sunday) at around 9.30pm saying that two devices had been left in the area of the railway line.

Craigavon Area Commander, Chief Inspector Paul Reid, said they do not take the decision to close roads and rail lightly but in the interests of public safety.

He also expressed disappointment that his officers had come under fire by a small number of youths as they dealt with the security alert.

A number of petrol bombs had also been recovered.

Deputy Mayor of Craigavon, Catherine Seeley said: “The entire community, particularly the community in north Lurgan, should be left in peace. After weeks of disruption and closed roads due to pipe-laying and other road works, it is outlandish that a small minority of no-bodies have decided to disrupt the everyday lives of the local community once again.
“Those responsible should come forward and explain to the community they have disturbed, exactly what rationale is behind this nonsense.”

Read more news:

Petrol bomb recovered during security alert operation

Armagh maintain unbeaten run with another great display

South Armagh black market crackdown continues with latest seizures

Become a member

Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.

Become a member

Most read today

More in News