A man who believed that his driving ban had been rescinded has been handed a suspended sentence for driving whilst disqualified.
Court heard the 35-year-old had his licence taken away in January for drink driving.
Court heard the defendant was detected driving an Audi A4 on the Dobbin Road, Portadown, at around 10.20am on April 11.
Police checks showed that Campbell was a disqualified driver and he was cautioned.
He told officers: “I wouldn’t be driving if I thought I was disqualified, I wouldn’t break the law.”
During interview, the defendant stated that his solicitor had told him the ban had been rescinded.
Defence barrister Conor Coulter said Campbell had begun drinking to excess after the death of his father and a break up with his long-term partner, who is the mother of his child.
District Judge Bernie Kelly commented: “I wonder how he would feel if his child was killed by a drink driver?”
Mr Coulter stated that Campbell was now abstaining from alcohol and living with family.
District Judge Kelly told the defendant: “The breach of a court order is a very serious offence.
“There are very easy ways for you to figure out if you are still disqualified.”
Campbell was handed a 12-month driving ban and five-month prison sentence suspended for two years.
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member