Keep up with Armagh i

Man accused of attempted murder outside his Portadown home appears in court

Police checkpoint night

A Portadown man accused of violently stabbing another man after their partners got into a row over a phone has been granted bail.

Craigavon Magistrates’ Court today (Wednesday) heard that when police arrived at the scene outside in Crawford’s Park in the town, during the early hours of Sunday morning, they witnessed the defendant washing blood from his hands.

Jorge Iuri Louriero, of Crawford’s Park, appeared in court charged with the attempted murder, common assault, and possession of a knife in a public place.

It was heard during the brief hearing that police were called to the scene around 3.40am by members of the ambulance service.

It is alleged the 32-year-old, along with two other males, had chased the injured party from the back of the defendant’s home address.

A constable, giving evidence to the court, stated the injured party had received two stab wounds; one in the Crawford’s Park area and another at nearby Shamrock Park.

The court heard how the injured man is still receiving treatment in hospital as a result.

Prosecution, raising concerns over the bail application, said there was a possibility Louriero would attempt to intimidate the injured party – who lives less than one mile away – and the neighbours who witnessed the incident.

Defence barrister Aaron Thompson accepted the prosecution’s argument but added that his client had been granted accommodation outside of Portadown by the Simon Community.

The constable raised other objections to bail, including the defendant’s previous criminal history, stating there was a fear Louriero’s “propensity for violence” was increasing.

The court heard the defendant was handed a suspended sentence in March of this year and had previously been issued a caution for possession of a knife.

However, the constable did concede that Louriero was unlikely to flee the jurisdiction, as both his partner and child lived in Northern Ireland.

Mr Thompson stated that the defendant accepted his involvement during interview but had claimed self-defence.

He explained that earlier on that day Louriero and his wife had been in sitting close to the victim and his partner.

It was heard an argument ensued between the two partners after Louriero picked up the victim’s partners’ phone by mistake, believing it belonged to one of his own friends.

Mr Thompson stated that the man – who would later be stabbed – then followed the defendant home, making threats towards him.

He added that Louriero had made a full and frank account of the events to police during interview.

District Judge Bernie Kelly said: “I will make this simple I am not anti-releasing this man, so long as he has an address outside of Portadown.”

Louriero was released on his own bail of £500 and was banned from consuming alcohol, drugs and access to the internet.

He was also not permitted to enter Portadown or have contact with anyone involved in the case.

A curfew between the hours of 8pm and 6am are also to be abided by.

The case will return on October 5.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Portadown