Translink will be carrying out essential engineering work on the railway line between Belfast and Portadown, with a line closure planned from Monday, December 25 until Monday, January 1, 2024 inclusive.
As a result, the railway line will be closed during this period, with bus substitution services operating from the nearest bus stop to halts and stations. Passengers are advised to check times before they travel.
The main work undertaken during this period will see the continuation of a major signalling upgrade at Lisburn.
In addition, there will be essential engineering works in the Belfast area for the new Belfast Grand Central Station, as well as platform extension work at Derriaghy Train Station.
Bus substitution services will be in place for local rail passengers between Belfast Great Victoria Street and Portadown, serving all stations at main road bus stops.
Normal Enterprise services will operate between Portadown and Dublin Connolly. Enterprise passengers travelling to and from Belfast will be transferred between Belfast Lanyon Place and Newry by coach.
Passengers are advised to check the website www.translink.co.uk or Journey Planner before they travel and allow extra time for their journey.
Announcing this year’s work, Translink’s John Glass, Director of Infrastructure and Projects said: “We are undertaking a significant investment programme to upgrade and protect Northern Ireland’s rail infrastructure. The upgrade works in the Lisburn area have made good progress already, and this intensive engineering period will ensure the timely completion of this project.
“Our engineers will be working throughout the festive period, maximising our resources to also complete additional engineering works for Belfast Grand Central Station and Derriaghy to minimise future passenger impact.
“This tried and tested approach has been carefully planned to take advantage of the lower passenger numbers an minimise disruption.
“Our teams will be hosting pop-up information days at stations along the line during December, and I encourage the public to come and meet with them to find out more about these works and the impact.
“I want to thank all our passengers and local neighbours for their support and patience as we progress these essential works.”
Passengers and residents seeking further details on this work should visit: www.translink.co.uk/lineimprovements
Monday 25th December 2023 until Monday 1st January 2024
- Line closure between Belfast Great Victoria Street and Portadown
- Bus substitution will operate between Belfast Great Victoria Street and Portadown, servicing Adelaide, Balmoral, Finaghy, Dunmurry, Derriaghy, Lambeg, Hilden, Moira and Lurgan.
- Bus substitutions will operate from main road bus stops.
- Limited bus substitutions will extend to and from Newry, via Scarva and Poyntzpass
- In Poyntzpass, a bus substitution will depart Church Street
- In Scarva, a bus substitution will depart Station Road
- Please check before you travel, as bus substitution times may differ from usual scheduled rail departure times.
- Train tickets will also be valid for use on Ulsterbus and Metro scheduled services.
- A shuttle service will operate between Belfast Lanyon Place and Great Victoria Street.
- Botanic and City Hospital Stations will also be closed during this period.
- Normal services between Belfast and Bangor, Larne, Portrush and Derry~Londonderry.