Keep up with Armagh i

Firefighters from as far as Belfast drafted in to battle Portadown house blaze

Occupants safely out of house as seven appliances - including aerial unit - fight 'accidental' fire

Extensive damage was caused to a house in Portadown after fire crews from far away as Belfast battled an early morning blaze.

The alarm was raised shortly after 7am today (Friday), of a fire at a property on Watson Street.

Fortunately, there were no reports of any injuries as those in the house had made their way to safety, however, a man and two women – all in their 20’s – were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation

The road was closed as fire crews from Lurgan, Portadown, Armagh, Banbridge, Dromore and Belfast all attended the scene.

In all six fire and one aerial appliance were tasked to the scene.

An NI Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Three occupants were out of the property prior to the arrival of firefighters.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used water jets to extinguish the fire.

“The incident was dealt with by 11.40am and the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.”

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Portadown