Keep up with Armagh i

Pensioners’ lucky escape after bungalow blaze

Two pensioners had a lucky escape after a fire broke out at a bungalow at Derrynoose last night.

Firefighters from nearby Keady and Newtownhamilton raced to the scene on the Listrakelt Road after a call came in shortly before 10pm.

According to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, it appears that a chimey fire had spread to the roof space of a conservatory at the property.

Fortunately, working smoke alarms alerted the residents to the fire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to tackle the blaze.

An ambulance was called to the scene to attend to an 86-year-old who was suffering the effects of mild smoke inhalation.

A 78-year-old woman suffered shock.

Read more news:

B&Q to pull out of Craigavon with 80 jobs set to go

Drivers start fighting on a main street in middle of the day

New council adopt policy to reject Interconnector in its current form

Georgian Day report points to Armagh’s biggest festive celebration ever

Become a member

Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.

Become a member

Most read today

More in Keady