The owner of a Newry hair salon has said they are “totally heartbroken” after the premises was gutted in an arson attack.
The fire at Mojo & Co at Cloughoge was started during the early hours of Saturday morning.
It was to have been a busy day at the salon with appointments made ahead of Holy Communion.
But instead of fulfilling bookings, the salon – which would have marked its fifth anniversary in June – was closed, burned beyond recognition.
The owners took to social media and said they were “totally devastated and in shock and can’t comprehend why this has happened”, before adding: “Our dreams are gone.”
They added: “All the hard work and dedication put into growing a really successful business and now it’s ashes….
“I don’t no why people would do this….!!!!!!
“Not only did they ruin our lives but they ruined all our staffs, all our rent a chairs, the little kids who are making their holy communion this morning and all our clients who have stood by us for years…
“Everyone without a job or a place to work and a way to make a living…
“We are totally heartbroken.”
Police have confirmed the incident is being treated as arson.
A window in the salon had been smashed and the premises was extensively damaged as a result of the blaze, with water and smoke damage also caused to a neighbouring business.
Anyone with information can contact the PSNI on the non-emergency number 101.