Keep up with Armagh i

Father of woman murdered in Newry ‘willing to sell taxi’ to fund flight ‘to say goodbye’

Newry murder victims

The father of a Columbian woman murdered in Newry says is willing to sell his taxi to pay for a flight to Northern Ireland.

Media outlets in his native Columbia are reporting how Fabian Marimon and Elizabeth Herrera are seeking the help of the Colombian government to get an emergency visa to travel.

The bodies of Giselle (Irina) Marimon Herrera, 37, and her 15-year-old daughter Allison were discovered at their Glin Ree Court apartment on Thursday morning.

The body of a 38-year-old man was also discovered at the scene, however, police say they are not seeking anyone else in connection with the deaths.

Columbian radio station Caracol Radio are reporting that the murdered woman’s relative was present when police entered the property.

The report also states that the father of the woman “is willing to sell his taxi…to travel to the European country and to be able to say goodbye to one of his children, as it should be.”

Allison Marimon Herrera was a pupil at Newry High School.

School principal Iestyn Brown said the entire school community is “deeply shocked and saddened” at the news of Allison’s death.

“Allison was a talented, kind, courteous and well-mannered pupil with a beautiful smile,” he said.

“Both staff and pupils are profoundly saddened by her death and she will be remembered with great affection by her fellow pupils and staff alike.”

Mr Brown added: “Our hearts go out to Allison’s family circle; they are foremost in our thoughts and prayers at this sad time.”

Det Supt Jason Murphy said Ms Marimon-Herrera was originally from Colombia and arrived in Northern Ireland about four years ago.

He said her daughter, Allison was born in Spain, and had lived in Northern Ireland since 2017.

She was a pupil at Newry High School.

“My thoughts today are with the teachers and pupils who knew her,” Det Supt Murphy said.

“I believe that Giselle and Allison were still alive in the early hours of Sunday morning, but family members have not been able to contact them since,” he added.

“The exact circumstances of what happened in their home remain the subject of the investigation.”

He said post-mortem examinations were under way and that he did not at this stage have any “preliminary or definitive causes of death”.

He added: “This is an unspeakable tragedy.”

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Newry