Keep up with Armagh i

Six month ban for man who drove whilst posting Facebook live video

The deputy district judge said: 'The difficulty is uploading a Facebook video whilst driving is the height of stupidity. It should really be dangerous driving'

Mobile phone driving
Main image for illustration purposes only

A Lurgan man who drove whilst posting a Facebook live video has been handed a six month disqualification.

Sentencing the 30-year-old, the deputy district judge commented: “The difficulty is uploading a Facebook video whilst driving is the height of stupidity. It should really be dangerous driving.”

James Doran, of Kilmaine Street, had a plea of guilty entered on his behalf to using a mobile phone whilst driving at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Prosecution outlined that on December 18, police received a report that the defendant had been driving on the Dromore Road, Lurgan, whilst posting a Facebook live video.

On December 20, during interview, Doran denied that he had been the person who was holding the phone for the video.

However, in a later interview on February 15, after being shown the video which proved him to be the only person in the vehicle, he made admissions.

Defence solicitor Harry McCourt told the court that Doran came before the court with a clear licence which he had held for approximately 18 months.

Deputy District Judge Chris Holmes stated: “The difficulty is uploading a Facebook video whilst driving is the height of stupidity. It should really be dangerous driving.”

The defendant was disqualified from driving for six months and was ordered to pay a fine of £250, along with the offender’s levy of £15, within 26 weeks.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter for major breaking news stories as they happen – right to your inbox.

Most read today

More in Lurgan