Two men accused of the murder of Shane Whitla in Lurgan have had their bail applications adjourned for police to assess the suitability of the proposed bail addresses.
Kevin Conway, (25), and Joshua Cotter, (29), both appeared before Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Friday via videolink from Maghaberry.
Both men are charged with the murder of Shane Whitla on January 12.
The 39-year-old was gunned down in an alleyway off Woodville Street in Lurgan – close to his home. He was later found on the ground in Lord Lurgan Park.
He had been shot several times, including once in the back.
Both defendants appeared before the court for the purpose of a bail application.
Detective Constable McLaughlin told the court that police had concerns around bail on the grounds that the case was still a live murder investigation and that no suitable bail addresses had been offered for the defendants.
The officer stated that the firearm has “still not been located”.
He said: “There must be an effective mechanism in place to actively monitor the applicant and ensure he complies with any bail conditions imposed.”
In relation to Conway, Aaron Thompson BL, defending, told the court that an address had been produced.
District Judge Bernie Kelly adjourned Conway’s case to appear on February 3, to allow police to check the proposed bail address.
Cotter’s case was passed for consultation with his legal representation.
Follow all the latest court news here.