A Lurgan man has been banned from getting behind the wheel for 18 months for what a judge has described as “an appalling piece of dangerous driving”.
Deputy District Judge Chris Holmes told the 21-year-old that if he had contested the matter he could have been off the road for three-and-a-half to four years.
Samuel Craig, of Shankill Street, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, using a vehicle without insurance, failing to stop or report an accident and breaching a traffic sign.
Craigavon Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday that on July 19 at around 3.50pm, the defendant scraped a Vauxhall Astra while driving a Volkswagen Bora on Shankill Street, Lurgan.
Craig then reversed, mounting the pavement to get around the Astra before turning left onto Edward Street and going through a red light.
The defendant then swerved on to the wrong side of the road causing a white van to take evasive action.
Checks by police showed that the vehicle was uninsured, and Craig was subsequently arrested.
Defence counsel stated that the defendant had considered contesting the dangerous driving but now wished to enter a plea.
She added that Craig had been made aware that he faced mandatory disqualification.
Deputy District Judge Chris Holmes branded this “an appalling piece of dangerous driving” and told the defendant “if you ran this as a contest you would have been off the road for three-and-a-half to four years”.
It was also revealed Craig had previous offences of breaching a traffic light and being under the influence whilst in charge.
The defendant was handed an 18-month driving ban and ordered to pay a fine of £725, along with the offender’s levy of £15, within 20 weeks.
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member