Keep up with Armagh i

Jail for drunk and aggressive Lurgan man who repeatedly kicked police van

Police had to deploy spray before they placed the defendant in handcuffs and arrested him

Craigavon Magistrates Court

A Lurgan man who damaged a police van after being arrested for disorderly behaviour whilst intoxicated has been sentenced to two months in custody.

Caolan Shannon, of Mark Court, appeared before Craigavon Magistrates’ Court charged with criminal damage and disorderly behaviour.

The 28-year-old appeared before the court via video-link from Maghaberry for sentencing, pleading guilty to both charges.

Shannon, who was on remand in relation to other matters, waived his right to a pre-sentence report.

The court heard that on November 10, 2021, police were tasked to a report of a male with a knife “acting aggressively” in the Dill Avenue area of Lurgan.

On arrival, police discovered the defendant to be intoxicated and aggressive. Police were informed by an injured party that the defendant had been “causing problems around the area”.

Police approached the defendant, who appeared to be drunk, to try to speak to him, when he became “very aggressive”. Police then deployed spray before they placed the defendant in handcuffs and arrested him.

Whilst the defendant was being transported to Craigavon Area Hospital, he continued to act aggressively and kicked the cell van repeatedly.

Shannon’s defence counsel, Damien Halleron BL said that the defendant was on remand for other matters, adding that he has “effectively got about nine months served”, although no time has been served on the case before the court.

Defence said that the “story of Mr Shannon’s criminal career” is that he has arguments with his family, they then withdraw their statements and he then behaves poorly with police.

Deputy District Judge Magill, presiding, said that in spite of the defendant’s plea of guilty, “there’ll have to be a custodial sentence, but I am bearing all that in mind”.

Deputy District Judge Magill added that if Shannon had decided to contest, he would have been convicted and sentenced to a period of around four to six months.

Shannon was sentenced to two months in prison in respect of the two charges, with the periods of custody to run concurrently.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Lurgan