Keep up with Armagh i

Council breaks silence over ‘starved’ Lurgan dogs backlash saying it responded ‘in line with policy’

'Council takes all reports of animal welfare concern seriously'

ABC Council has said it will “continue to co-operate” with police but will be making no further comment around concerns raised following the discovery of two dogs at a property in Lurgan.

At the same time, it said all reports received by animal welfare officers in relation to concerns raised in this case had been “responded to in line with council’s statutory responsibilities and enforcement policy”.

Earlier, the Nolan Show reported that the council had been contacted on multiple occasions by neighbours raising concerns.

The two dogs had been found at a flat in Lurgan and were reported to have been kept in crates and had starved to death.

A neighbour told the programme that he had begun raising concerns with both the PSNI and council from mid-March.

The dogs were only discovered at the property on Monday evening.

Related: Lurgan horror as dogs left to starve in crates despite months of neighbour warnings

DUP Upper Bann MLA said there had been “abject failings” and “serious questions” now needed to be answered.

Armagh I had contacted both ABC Council and the PSNI on Wednesday evening, ahead of the BBC Radio Ulster show airing and after allegations appeared on social media.

The PSNI had confirmed a man had been arrested and was due to appear in court in September.

ABC Council has now responded and issued its own statement.

It said: “Council is aware that a 47 year old man has been arrested and charged with abandoning an animal and causing unnecessary suffering to animals following an investigation undertaken by the PSNI into an animal welfare incident at a property in Lurgan.

“Council takes all reports of animal welfare concern seriously. All reports received by the Animal Welfare Service in connection with this case were responded to in line with council’s statutory responsibilities and enforcement policy.

“Council will continue to co-operate with the PSNI as required in relation to this case.

“As this is an ongoing criminal investigation, Council are unable to comment further on any aspect of the case at this time.”

Local jobs

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Lurgan