Keep up with Armagh i

Former Crossmaglen Rangers treasurer to be questioned for three days in police custody

Police applied for defendant to be released into their custody for three days to be questioned on a number of matters

Thomas McKenna Crossmaglen

A former treasurer of Crossmaglen Rangers GAA club, accused of sexual offences on young men and children over a 30 year period, has been released into the custody of police for questioning.

Thomas McKenna, 58, appeared in the dock at Newry Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with a total of 17 offences dating back to 1988.

They include: voyeurism; buggery of a male over the age of 16 between January 15, 1998 and January 15, 2000, along with gross indecency and multiple indecent assaults towards the same child between similar dates.

He was also charged with indecent assault on two other males between the dates of December 16, 1998, and December 31, 2001.

The seventh charge relates to buggery of a second male between December 31, 1993 and December 31, 2002.

He also faces allegations of gross indecency and indecent assault of the same male during the same period.

There are a further three charges of indecent assault alleged to have occurred between December 18, 1988 and August 13, 2000.

More recent alleged offences included the sexual assault of another male between March 3, 2009 and March 3, 2011 and a charge of indecent assault on a male between January 1, 2009 and July 31, 2010.

Two of the remaining three charges relate to the making and possession of indecent photograph, while the final charge relates to McKenna being a postal operator and interfering with post.

Court previously heard that this final charge related to the opening of a postal package whilst employed as a postman.

On Wednesday, Detective Constable Kirk confirmed the police were applying under Article 47 for the defendant to be released into their custody for three days to be questioned on a number of matters.

Defence solicitor Gerard Trainor stated that this was “unusual” as he believed the application had been made for one day in police custody.

He commented: “This is in relation to two separate matters.”

Constable Davis replied that, in fact, it was three.

District Judge Eamon King ordered that McKenna was transferred into police custody at Banbridge Police station for no longer than three days.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Crossmaglen