Keep up with Armagh i

Man charged with two counts of causing GBH bailed despite police objections

Granting bail the district judge said: 'I just can't keep him locked up'

A Craigavon man accused of causing grievous bodily harm to two separate males has been granted bail despite police objections given the proximity of the address to the alleged injured parties.

Releasing the 29-year-old, the district judge commented: “I just can’t keep him locked up.”

Matthew McNally, with an address of Manse Road in Carryduff, appeared before Armagh Magistrates’ Court, sitting at Newry, for the purposes of a bail application on Tuesday via videolink from Maghaberry.

The defendant is in custody charged with two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent, theft and criminal damage.

None of the facts in the case were opened in court, however, the particulars outlined that all of the offences were alleged to have occurred on May 31, of last year.

McNally is accused of unlawfully and maliciously causing grievous bodily harm to two males. He is further alleged to have stolen a Samsung S7 mobile and a black e-cigarette to the value of around £330 from one of the alleged injured parties.

The defendant is also alleged to have caused damage to a Ford Fiesta belonging to the same male.

Defence barrister Michael Tierney informed court that upon an alleged breach of bail in November, his client had been granted bail subject to an address suitable to police but so far had remained in custody.

He stated that the fresh application would be for McNally to be granted bail to reside with his parents at an address in the Drumgor area of Craigavon.

Objecting to bail, a constable outlined that the defendant had been residing at an address in Carryduff but had been absent from the address for two months until being located by police.

However, District Judge Bernie Kelly commented that delay in the case was the main reason for the application for bail.

The constable stated that the address provided was 0.8 miles from the home of one alleged injured party and 1.2miles from the other. He added that this was also just 600 metres from where the alleged incident took place.

Granting bail, District Judge Kelly said: “I just can’t keep him locked up.”

McNally was released on his own bail of £500 with a surety of £500. Conditions included; a 9pm to 6am curfew, to have no contact with the alleged injured parties or any prosecution witness and to report to Lurgan Police Station once a week.

The case was adjourned until February 18 for an update.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Craigavon