A man arrested on suspicion of attempted child abduction has been released on bail.
Police confirmed the man detained on Wednesday has now been released for “medical reasons”.
The arrest came after St Mary’s Primary School in Banbridge had posted on social media urging parents to be vigilant.
They had said two children had been approached at around 8.35am as they made their way to school along Dromore Street.
However, police have continued to address the concern felt by many following the man’s apprehension.
“Whilst full details will not be given, medical treatment was required whilst in custody and further will be required,” a PSNI spokesperson said.
“Again, it’s important to point out that speculation on social media lead to a lot of the concern around yesterday’s incident.
“That said, we have bail conditions in place which will be monitored closely one of which means he’ll be nowhere near Banbridge. Public safety always comes first, regardless of what we’re bound by.
“The take away point from this incident should be the message of stranger danger, and parents- you should take time to speak with your kids and get them thinking like the kids yesterday.
“Say no to strangers, and tell an adult you can trust straight away. Have that conversation tonight, and we can start getting some benefits from this moving forward.
“Please bare in mind that whilst there will understandably be questions, we cannot answer specifics on our investigation to date.
“We’ll answer what we can, but a fuller update will only come after the next interview.”
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member