A woman in her 50s has had a lucky escape after she had to jump from a first-floor window to escape a fire at her home in Armagh last night (Tuesday).
Armagh I first reported the fire, which broke out at a semi-detached house in Navan Court on the Killylea Road around 8pm last night.
About 20 firefighters were at the scene in the city. The woman had jumped before emergency services arrived.
The fire was extinguished but the woman was taken to Craigavon hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire is believed to have been started accidentally.
Alan O’Neill, group commander with the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, said: “When firefighters arrived they found a well-developed fire at the house.
“The woman had been alerted to the fire by her smoke alarm.”
An eyewitness told Armagh I last night: “The fire is huge. I was just driving past and there were lots of people standing outside watching someone’s house on fire.
“I think the fire was inside and there is three large fire trucks and a fire car there. Scary stuff.”
Become a member
Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.Become a member