Keep up with Armagh i

Shock as Co Armagh man – married just 48 hours – found dead in Las Vegas hotel room

Gary Love
Gary Love, pictured left, was found dead in Las vegas on Sunday afternoon

A young family has been plunged into grief following the sudden death of a Co Armagh man in Las Vegas on Sunday – just 48 hours after marrying his long-term partner.

Gary Love’s wife Grace discovered her husband’s body in their hotel room hours after the pair had watched Irishman Conor McGregor winning his UFC 246 fight in the city against Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone.

The 33-year-old, from Portadown, had recently moved to Waringstown with his partner, who is the mother of two of his young children, Molly and Pippa. He also has a 13-year-old daughter, Bethany.

Gavin Moir, owner of the Mane Man on the Newry Road in Armagh, spoke of his shock at his friend Gary’s death,

“Gary died on Sunday night, our last night in Vegas,” he posted on Instagram. “It’s been a tough few days for everyone.

“Gary was like my big brother, he was that friend who I went to when I had trouble with anything.

“We spoke every day and winded each other up so much (even in this picture I gave him abuse [because] he fitted into my dad’s blazer!).

“I’m gonna miss you Glove! My thoughts are with his family in Portadown, his wife Grace and three kids. Gary, you’ll always be in my thoughts.”

Mr Love’s father, Malcolm, told the Belfast Telegraph that Gary’s death is a devastating tragedy.

“We are all stunned,” he said. “This is not what we had been expecting.

“Gary and Grace had lived together for some time now and decided they wanted to get married.

“Gary had been to Las Vegas a few times to see the boxing and the UFC too. He liked to have the odd flutter as well and he was quite successful.

“So they thought it would be a good idea to have the wedding in Vegas and enjoy a honeymoon as well.

“They had travelled over to Nevada last week and they were married on Friday. They saw the McGregor fight on Saturday night with two friends who had also gone to Vegas.

“On Sunday they went out for something to eat and came back to their room, but after a while Grace said she couldn’t wake Gary.

“She called all the authorities, who came in and pronounced him dead. But we don’t know what the cause of death was.”

Arrangements are being made with undertakers in America and in Northern Ireland to repatriate Mr Love as soon as his remains are released by the coroner.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Armagh