A decision on whether or not to reopen recycling centres across Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon could be at least a week away.
But council officials have indicated that a resumption of the bulky waste collection service within the borough is feasible and could be looked at.
Party leaders on ABC Council again debated the issue of recycling facilities on Friday afternoon.
However, a decision on opening up recycling centres is not expected to be taken until the full remote council meeting takes place next Thursday, May 14.
At the same time, however, a fresh proposal has emerged and placed on the table – that the bulky waste collection service be resumed across the borough.
And officers have said that this measure – which had been proposed by the Alliance Party, who was represented by Councillor Peter Lavery – would be feasible.
Further talks will take place on Monday and it will be proposed again by the Alliance Party to see if it can find favour. It may then go to the full council sitting too.
Speaking after Friday’s meeting, Councillor Eoin Tennyson said it was his view that eninstating this would help “ease pressure on households who have accrued additional waste”.
He told Armagh I : “Waste collection is classed as essential by the NI Executive and we believe the service can be administered safely in accordance with government guidance and in a manner that is consistent with the overarching public health message of ‘stay home, save lives’.
“We also hope that resuming the service will go some way in tackling the increased fly-tipping we have experienced in recent weeks.
“Recycling centres will remain closed until it is safe and operationally viable for them to reopen, but bulky waste collection will minimise any inconvenience in the interim.”
It is almost two weeks since Environment Minister Edwin Poots gave the go-ahead for councils to decide whether or not they wanted to reopen recycling centres if they felt it was safe to do so.
In the absence of a directive, ABC Council was split on whether or not they should resume.
There have been several discussions on the issue in the interim but it now looks like it will be next week before decisions on reopening – or alternatives – can be made.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.