Seven people were rescued from a block of flats which caught fire in Belfast this morning (Tuesday).
The blaze broke out in the hallway of the two-storey property on the Ardoyne Road after a motorcycle was set alight.
Fire crews from Westland and Springfield Fire Stations were on the scene at 5.20am.
The people were trapped inside due to the smoke.
A spokesperson for NIFRS said: “Occupants were trapped inside their flats due to smoke from a motorcycle set alight in the communal hallway.
“Firefighters from Westland and Springfield Fire Stations rescued 7 people using Breathing Apparatus and ladders, while fighting the fire with hose real jets.
“NIAS treated occupants on scene for smoke inhalation and there has been damage to the communal hall and doors of flats.
“The occupants were alerted early, by smoke alarms actuating in the hallway. NIFRS Control staff reassured callers and provided lifesaving advice to those trapped until fire crews arrived on scene.
“Thankfully due to working smoke alarms, the advice given by Controls staff and the swift actions of Firefighters all occupants have now been safely rescued from the flats.”
A Craigavon man who assaulted his now ex-partner twice in quick succession has been...
A Portadown man has been given six months to show a judge he has...
A Portadown teenager who chased several people with a hatchet has been sentenced to...
/ 2 days ago
Rising band The Sherlocks wowed a packed house with an intimate gig in Armagh...
/ 3 days ago
Armagh will once again celebrate its storied past this November with its four-day Georgian...