No criminal charges have been brought against a county Armagh victims’ group following a seven-year police investigation.
Allegations of misconduct were brought against Markethill-based Saver/Naver following a whistleblower’s claims to a BBC Spotlight programme in 2011.
The programme said the alleged fraud included the “faking of cheques and invoices to draw down public money”.
Speaking shortly after the allegations were aired, the group’s then secretary Reatha Hassan, said: “I was not aware of any wrongdoing or fraudulent activity within Saver/Naver as wrongly alleged in the Spotlight broadcast.
“I was stunned by the alleged revelations contained in the programme and have initiated a full internal investigation which is currently being carried out within the organisation.”
Saver/Naver was a victims’ group set up to “for the benefit of those who are suffering or have suffered as a result of the conflict in Northern Ireland and the families of such persons who are in need”.
In 2011, police said an investigation into the company had been ongoing since August 2010.
However, PSNI spokeswoman told the Belfast Newsletter that “police can confirm that an investigation has been carried out and no charges have been brought”.
Saver/Naver was dissolved on February 21, 2014, six years after it was set up.
A man who assaulted two others at a Reformation commemoration march did so because...
A Tandragee man has appeared in court after his van smashed through the wall...
A Latvian national did not understand how a knife could be an offensive weapon,...